[AusNOG] AWS With Megaport

Steve Tu steve.tu at megaport.com
Tue Feb 12 13:29:28 EST 2019

Hi Joseph,

Thank your for your enquiry.

As Simon Thomason pointed out, AWS Direct Connect - Private Virtual
Interface is mainly for connecting two private networks together by
exchanging routes via BGP.

In your scenario of extending your on-premises network into the native AWS
VPC so they are on the same broadcast domain, this is not a supported
scenario. Also on AWS VPC route table, the destination via next-hop/default
gateway will need to be an AWS component i.e. Virtual Private Gateway or
Internet Gateway etc. and not something outside of AWS.

https://aws.amazon.com/vpc/faqs/
Please also check the Topology section of the FAQ

There are options such as VMware on AWS and creating a L2VPN over Direct
Connect, that may suits your requirements.

I hope this answers your question, and if you have any further
questions, please do not hesitate to contact me,

*SteveTu*
*Solutions Architect APAC*

Phone: +61 430 965 798
[image: Connect on LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/tusteven/>

[image: Visit Megaport.com] <https://www.megaport.com/>

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it and notify the sender.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM Gavin Tweedie <gavin.tweedie at megaport.com>
wrote:

> I'm not our cloud wizard so let me throw on a technical solutions guy or
> two on this thread to bring it to their attention!
>
> Gav
>
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 10:08, simon thomason <sapage at sapage.net> wrote:
>
>> I would be interested to know how you do this also.
>>
>> My understanding is that over MP you need to peer with AWS in BGP.
>> https://knowledgebase.megaport.com/cloud-connectivity/aws-cloud/
>>
>> Even looking at AWS doco it says you can not
>> https://aws.amazon.com/directconnect/faqs/.
>>
>> Unless you want to run GRE or something over this but i am not certain
>> why you would.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:53 AM Nathan Brookfield <
>> Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> 100% possible :)
>>>
>>> Nathan Brookfield
>>> Chief Executive Officer
>>>
>>> Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd
>>> http://www.simtronic.com.au
>>>
>>> On 12 Feb 2019, at 12:40, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi *
>>>
>>>  Just wondering if the following scenario is supported for EC2 instances
>>> with AWS.
>>>
>>>  Over megaport, I'd like to use a VXC (Or Direct Connect) - On that
>>> interface on my router, I put x.x.x.1/24, then on my EC2 instances I'd want
>>> to put x.x.x.2-254/24 directly on my compute instances, so those EC2
>>> instances basically become a part of my broadcast domain over the VLAN on
>>> Megaport, and I can control data in/out of those instances.
>>>
>>>  I'm fairly fresh to AWS so not entirely sure the correct way to go
>>> about it through the route tables, VPCs etc - is what I'm asking for
>>> relatively easy and possible?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joe