[AusNOG] NTP Best Current Practices Internet Draft

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:15:38 EST 2019

I say this as a long-time (since NT3.51) Windows sysadmin...

On Sat, 2 Feb. 2019, 12:31 pm O'Connor, Daniel <darius at dons.net.au wrote:

> > On 2 Feb 2019, at 11:48, Mark Smith <markzzzsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem that occurred with 0.au.pool.ntp.org proving bad time
> > wouldn't have had an effect if the Windows domain controller had at
> > least 2 other NTP time sources.
>
> The behaviour of OPs system implies that a PDC does not use more than one
> clock source.
>
> If that is true (I have no idea, but googling suggests it may be so) then
> you are going to end up relying on a single time server. In that case you
> are probably better firing up a tiny Linux VM running only ntpd (or chrony
> etc etc) which is configured for multiple pool servers and then point your
> DCs at that.
>
> It does seem pretty ridiculous than Windows server can't behave more
> sensibly though..

The time service is the area where I felt Windows lagged significantly
behind Linux more than any other. Why Microsoft still haven't adopted
standardised tzdata and proper NTP is still, frankly, beyond me. The issues
the Windows time services still cause are crazy...