[AusNOG] Telstra Business - known issues??

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Sat Apr 27 17:27:39 EST 2019

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019, Jacob Taylor wrote:

> Does the modem report what address it negotiates on the WAN interface?

Yes, and it's reporting the correct IPv4 address.

> You could maybe try using the blanket DMZ setting available on most SOHO
> routers, make sure port 22 is locked down if you do.

I could, but I won't without the guys explicit permission.
There are a bunch of other things that (could) break that I may not know
about.

> The only way to narrow it down further is to replace the modem with
> something that provides more visibility options, or put it in bridge
> mode (if possible), put a router behind it and a switch in between and
> SPAN the port to view the WAN-side traffic.

The person has just got back and headed to the office to look at it.
His last words were ...."install another modem." and "I'll keep you
posted." so I'll leave it alone now. He can replace, reconfigure and hunt
up telstra as necessary.

> I probably would replace the modem anyway, SOHO kit is notoriously bad
> at this stuff. I

Yup.

R.