[AusNOG] More legislative interventions

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Apr 10 00:31:04 EST 2019

On 9 Apr 2019, at 2:22 PM, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2 - Ensure you have in place a mechanism to match electronic fingerprints of material similar to anything identified in a eSafety Commissioner's notice.

Paul, no, you’re really going to have to explain how that’s supposed to work if you’re going to make it your “best advice."

This is the same magical imaginary technology that our erstwhile Communications Minister in 2008 thought could detect Refused Classification material. And the same magical imaginary technology that his predecessor Communications Minister thought could detect porn in 1999.

And the results of their ridiculous brain explosions were signal-boosted ad infinitum by profiteering woo-merchants and associated hangers-on who had literally no concept of the achievable limits of contemporary technology, but who thought it’d be in everyone’s best interests if telcos just capitulated to the government’s nonsense. If you’re selling snake-oil, you can make money without needing to care why the customer is buying it, right?

Failing to hose them down cost the industry dearly, and continues to cost it to this day. Which means it’s hideously reckless for you to pick at the scab by suggesting the same thing all over again without first having a peer-reviewed conversation about exactly what you’re trying to propose.

  - mark