[AusNOG] More legislative interventions

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat Apr 6 21:26:34 EST 2019

On Sat, Apr 06, 2019 at 06:03:12AM +0000, Chad Kelly wrote:
> On 4/6/2019 12:00 PM, Mark Newton wrote:
> > This passed the Senate after 90 seconds of debate without the bill
> > itself being made available to MPs last night.
> >
> > It passed the House today after about four minutes of debate with no
> > crossbenchers being allowed to speak.
> >
> > It?ll receive royal assent and become law, probably tomorrow.
> >
> > But sure, take their consultation processes seriously, acknowledge the
> > validity of the system, treat them with respect, never go for their
> > jugular, join industry associations who tread softly and quietly and
> > make-nice lest anyone in government become offended.  Just like always.
> > I?m sure one day they?ll all see the light and stop kicking the internet
> > industry in the face.
> >
> > One day.
>
> I want to know how they expect to be able to deal with international agencies.

They don't.  This legislation is grandstanding, using the Christchurch tragedy to
bolster the Coalition's flagging reputation ahead of the Federal election,
and isn't intended to actually *work*.  Not that that'll mean it'll get
repealed if Labour gets in -- if they threw it out, they'd "look weak on
terruh", so it'll stay.  I'll eat my hat if any employee of the big social
media companies is ever actually charged under this Act, though.

- Matt