[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Sep 12 09:48:48 EST 2018

Thanks Rob.
Internet Australia's submission is at
https://internet.org.au/news/209-submission-internet-australia-s-submission-on-draft-assistance-and-access-bill.

We're also collating other submissions at this page to aid transparency, in case the
Department doesn't publish the collection themselves.
There are currently 6 other submissions linked there, with more to be added:

  * - Massachusetts Institute of Technology: Internet Policy Research Intiative
  * - Internet Architecture Board
  * - Chris Culnane and Vanessa Teague
  * - Communications Alliance, Australian Information Industry Association, Australian
    Mobile Telecommunications Association
  * - Mark Nottingham
  * - Digital Rights Watch, Australia Privacy Foundation, Electronic Fontiers
    Australia, Access Now, NSW Council for Civil Liberties, Future Wise, Blueprint for
    Free Speech, Queensland Council for Civil Liberties

All are well worth reading.

The IAB didn't mince words - cherry picking selected paragraphs: "
> "While we normally do not review proposed legislation, we are concerned that this
> proposal might have a serious and undesirable impact upon the Internet and, taken as
> a model, the sum of similar legislation may result in the fragmentation of the
> Internet.
> ....as custodians of the Internet’s architecture,
> we are required to take a global view. This approach, if applied generally, would
> result in the
> Internet’s privacy and security being the lowest common denominator permitted by the
> actions taken
> in myriad judicial contexts. From that perspective, this approach drastically
> reduces trust in critical
> Internet infrastructure and affects the long term health and viability of the
> Internet. "

May we include the ITPA submission, or a link to the ITPA page, in that collection?

Paul (with Chair of Internet Australia hat on)