[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 12:46:03 EST 2018

10 September date for submissions is inexorably edging closer, and like
most other people with other calls on their time than straightening out the
government's rough drafts of legislation, I'm still working my way through
the bill, and about half way through and after cross referencing the
Surveillance Devices Act, it becomes apparent that the scope to grant
emergency data retrieval beyond judicial writ is eye widening large, to
whit:

Where the bill confers the following power on "authorised officers under
the Surveillance Devices Act 2004"

*50 After subsection 28(1)*
Insert:
(1A) A law enforcement officer may apply to an appropriate authorising
officer for an emergency authorisation for access to data held in a
computer (the target computer) if, in the course of an investigation
of a relevant offence, the law enforcement officer reasonably
suspects that:
(a) an imminent risk of serious violence to a person or
substantial damage to property exists; and
(b) access to data held in the target computer is immediately
necessary for the purpose of dealing with that risk; and
(c) the circumstances are so serious and the matter is of such
urgency that access to data held in the target computer is
warranted; and
(d) it is not practicable in the circumstances to apply for a
computer access warrant.

(1B) The target computer may be any one or more of the following:
(a) a particular computer;
(b) a computer on particular premises;
(c) a computer associated with, used by or likely to be used by, a
person (whose identity may or may not be known).

You'd expect the breath taking reach of these emergency powers to lie in
the hands of at least Deputy Commissioners of Police.

However authorised officers under the Surveillance Devices Act include the
following:

5(c) a senior
executive AFP
employee the