[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 12:27:29 EST 2018

*UN's Special Rapporteur on the right to privacy* has weighed in on the
PJCIS review with incandescent criticism:

https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=8012483f-e421-41a7-8bd4-1e8eb5eb39eb&subId=661745

In my considered view, the Assistance and Access Bill is an example of a
poorly conceived national security measure that is equally as likely to
endanger security as not; it is technologically questionnable if it can
achieve its aims and avoid introducing vulnerabilities to the cybersecurity
of all devices irrespective of whether they are mobiles, tablets, watches,
cars, etc., and it unduly undermines human rights including the right to
privacy. It is out of step with international rulings raising the related
issue of how the Australian Government would enforce this law on
transnational technology companies.

I can't but think that if the Minister for Home Affairs to be doing  well
to attract the ire of the United Nations and his timing couldn't be better,
just as the Government has lost control of the House. I'm hopeful the
Australian media will pick up on the interest of the UN in the Bill,
fingers crossed.

Furthermore, the PJCIS, after announcing two additional hearings 16/30 Nov,
are also asking for *supplementary submissions, to be received no later
than 26 November.*

Kind regards
Paul Wilkins