[AusNOG] Are domain name server pointers reliant on registrar name server?

Bradley Silverman bsilverman at staff.ventraip.com
Mon Oct 29 10:13:13 EST 2018

Hi Matt,

A lot of confusing answers in here, even to me and this is my job to
understand them.

To answer your exact question without filler information:
Your registrar (Synergy Wholesale, TPP Wholesale, NetRegistry) need to have
the Nameserver records (ns1.server.net and ns2.server.net) for the domain (
Example.com.au).
Then your actual nameservers (ns1.server.net and ns2.server.net) actually
require the exact same nameserver records. Trust me, I have seen things go
awry when this isn't the case.

While you are technically reliant on the root, auDA, and Affilias, all
their job is to get someones request to the .com.au namespace TO the actual
.com.au domains, and not something you ever have to worry about.

All you need to do is make sure both your registrar and your nameservers
point to your nameservers. Does that make sense?
[image: VentraIP Australia logo]

*Bradley Silverman*Technical Operations \\ VentraIP Australia
*M: *+61 418 641 103 | *P:* +61 3 9013 8464 | ventraip.com.au