[AusNOG] Sexual Harassment at AUSNOG Industry Events

Chris Ford chris.ford at inaboxgroup.com.au
Tue Oct 2 12:32:02 EST 2018

Noel,

Aside from one person (inappropriately) pushing Bevan for details, no has been talking about the details of any specific incident. Yes, any specific incident should be handled in accordance with the wishes of the victim and not aired here publicly. That's not what's happening here. This is the start of a conversation about what behaviour we as a community are willing to accept or not accept.

If we as a community cannot have this conversation here, then where can we have it? As others have said, avoiding this conversation and sweeping it under the carpet is not the answer. That simply perpetuates the issue.

This is not about a lack of respect for the board. This is about members of AusNOG not being willing to step past what has been an on-going cultural issue across the technology industry. We are putting our hands up to say it's not ok, and to ensure that our colleagues who have been, or may in the future be victims of unacceptable behaviour, that there are those of us who will believe them and be there to support them.

--
Chris Ford | CTO
Inabox / Telcoinabox