[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Thu Nov 29 00:37:00 EST 2018

Paul Brooks wrote:
> On 23/11/2018 11:37 AM, Alex Samad wrote:
>> Wondering what the implications of this bill and the recent China was stealing our
>> traffic....
>>
>> So in theory could china steal / sniff our traffic and because of these weakening of
>> encryption allow china to snope on our stuff

> In theory no - this bill doesn't weaken encryption, and explicitly doesn't allow any
> changes that would weaken encryption.
>
> This bill seeks to bypass encryption entirely by giving the agencies easier access to
> get into devices and the back-end databases of apps and websites, to see what is
> stored in there -bypassing unlock codes, PINS, thumbprint readers etc on devices for
> example. So for traffic being sniffed 'in the middle' the information is still
> sent/received as fully encrypted - and man-in-the-middle snooper won't see anything.

I wonder how it would affect HDMI/HDCP enabled devices then.. from my
understanding all protected (encrypted) content is transmitted
encrypted, decoded, re-encoded (where necessary) so it is always
encrypted on the wire (I know that's pushing way beyond the desired
scope of the legislation, but what's good for the goose is of course
good for the gander..)

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/