[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 13:56:42 EST 2018

*"In practice, if they balls-up the change request given to the device
manufacturer or app/website developer, anything could happen."*

Then you recall the obligation under the Telecommunications Act 1997 for
carriers to "do their best to  protect networks and facilities". No such
obligation attaches to the Crown under the powers of the  Assistance and
Access Bill 2018.

So, even if in the cases of misfeasance, non feasance, or malfeasance on
the part of the Crown or its  agents in the implementation of
TCNs/TANs/TARs, and their impact on carriers businesses, liability rests,
not with the Crown as you might ingenuously assume, but with the carrier
who unwittingly acted as directed.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins