[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Thu Nov 15 10:45:54 EST 2018

Given that Dutton was straight on the band wagon within hours of the
events in Melbourne last week. Im sure this will be railroaded through
and any opposition will be called out as "weak national security
policy".   I think the chances of this not going though as first read
now is gone from slim to none.

Matt.

On 15/11/18 10:41 am, Nathan Brookfield wrote:
> Could they possibly give less notice.... Unbelievable!
>
> Nathan Brookfield
> Chief Executive Officer
>
> Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd
> http://www.simtronic.com.au
>
> On 15 Nov 2018, at 10:40, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
> <mailto:paulwilkins369 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Media Release: Issue date: 14 November 2018
>
> *Second public hearing on the Encryption Bill*
>
> The second public hearing on the Telecommunication and Other
> Legislation Amendment (Assistance and Access) Bill 2018 will be held
> on *Friday, 16 November 2018* in Sydney. The Committee will hear from
> academics, statutory oversight agencies, and industry peak bodies.
> Details of the public hearing:
> *9:00 am – 3.15pm
> SMC Conference & Function Centre, 66 Goulburn St, Sydney (Carrington
> Room)*
>
> The hearing will be live streamed (audio only) at www.aph.gov.au/live
> <http://www.aph.gov.au/live>.
>
> The full program of the hearing is available at
> https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Joint/Intelligence_and_Security/TelcoAmendmentBill2018/Public_Hearings
>
> Additional hearings will be held in *Canberra on 27 and 30 November*.
> Further information on the inquiry can be obtained from the
> Committee’s website.
>
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 11:36, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
> <mailto:paulwilkins369 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Communications Alliance submission
>     <https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=789049aa-edfc-48e2-a79c-0dd1c28f95b8&subId=662644>**makes
>     the**point both s313 and s280 (1)(b) of the Telecommunications Act
>     1997 are current extensively used to access metadata.
>
>     It follows that under the new bill, about a dozen LEAs will
>     similarly be able to rely on s313 and s280(1)(b) to get
>     warrantless metadata access.
>
>     Kind regards
>
>     Paul Wilkins
>

>     On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 at 13:09, Paul Wilkins
>     <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com <mailto:paulwilkins369 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Coexistence with Data Retention Regime (Under
>         Telecommunications Act)
>

>         Passage of this Bill will set the stage for mass surveillance,
>         where carriers are already subject to data retention, but the
>         Minister may further declare any service provider subject to
>         the metadata regime.
>

>         187A Service providers must keep certain information and documents
>
>         (3A) The Minister may, by legislative instrument, declare a
>         service to be a service to which this Part applies.
>

>         Such declaration has a statutory limitation of 40 sitting days
>         of Parliament, however nothing in the Act prevents such a
>         declaration being rolled over by the Minister, maintaining a
>         metadata regime in perpetuity for any service they should
>         designate. All this would lie within the provisioned scope of
>         the Minister's powers without any further legislation.
>
>         Access to such metadata does not necessarily require a
> [...]

/* Matt Perkins
         Direct 1300 137 379        Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
         Office 1300 133 299        matt at spectrum.com.au
                                    Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
         Spectrum Networks is a member of the Communications Alliance & TIO
*/