[AusNOG] linux tc ratelimiting

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Wed Nov 7 09:59:16 EST 2018

Hi

Should be a simple one - think i have seen AUSNOG's posting about tc stuff
before

I want to rate limit on a linux box using tc to 10Mbps and drop any packets
that go over.

right now I have
# Parent Class = Full speed of the link ?
$TC class add dev $IF parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 10gbit ceil 10gbit mtu
$MTU

# 10G
$TC class add dev $IF parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 10gbit ceil 10gbit
burst 2048b prio 1 mtu $MTU quantum 8

# 10Mbit
$TC class add dev $IF parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate 10mbit ceil 10mbit
burst 0b prio 2 mtu $MTU quantum 8

$TC qdisc add dev $IF parent 1:10 handle 10: sfq perturb 10
$TC qdisc add dev $IF parent 1:20 handle 20: bfifo limit 1310720

I'm using firewall tags to allocate streams

But when i try to push this past 10Mbps it queues the packets, I don't want
it to queue any, once it hits 10Mbps it should drop until it goes under
10Mbps

thanks