[AusNOG] Telstra mobile issues again?

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Tue May 22 23:11:31 EST 2018

If a business, regardless of size, isn't looking at these Telstra outages
(or any of their provider outages really) and getting the ball rolling on
what to do about it..... well, not good.

The smallest business has the ability, even if not the
intelligence/motivation/smarts/etc, to evaluate what they rely on and the
level of continuity they require. Literally even just reading this thread
should be enough to raise the appropriate questions, such as "why do you
think something like "they pay for a service. It probably isn't the
cheapest, but they pay for it anyhow because the name brings an element of
trust" means zero downtime?"

It is interesting that there has been a shift between services you could
totally rely on (say Telstra in the 90s), to those you can't even with a
tight SLA (Telstra now..), but the reality is those considering a
bulletproof system in the 90s still had a backup incase of a Telstra outage.

But back to the OP, Telstra dropping 000 should be hounded like no
tomorrow. People think power gas is essential services, but 000 is actually
essential. Is anyone monitoring the ACMA or whoever responses to these
events and the lapsing of SLAs?