[AusNOG] Bouncing Cisco Equipment and "Smart Install"

Michael J. Carmody michael at opusv.com.au
Wed May 9 14:51:38 EST 2018

I just found it amusing that Cisco's wording is, it's bad, but it's designed to work that way.

Insecure by Design.

Sigh...

As a minor point of comparison, we do zero touch deployment for our VoIP handsets, but we basically scan the mac address of the pickingslip/side of box, then dump that into our provisioning system, which is advertised to the phones via DHCP option. This at least requires to be in the L2 broadcast domain to poke these.

This a routable L3 auto-configure, which strikes me personally, as incredibly stupid. But smarter heads than mine must know better.

-M