[AusNOG] Melbourne Vocus to AWS Sydney performance

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Tue May 1 17:04:35 EST 2018

On 5/1/2018 4:25 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:

> The above performance is from a Vocus 100Mbps/100Mbps Ethernet Access Fibre
> (with Telstra Wholesale) service in Melbourne. Ping to
> s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com is 13ms, going through IX.
The AWS network performance varies considerably its all over the place.
My Cloudfront traffic ended up going through Perth on an Iprimus / Vocus
connection a few weeks ago Traffic on TPG in Perth goes all the way to
Sydney when using Cloudfront.
Its dirt cheap for everything though or free even so you can't complain
too much.
Given the type of connection we are talking about though and if you are
planning on storing huge amounts of data or transferring huge files I
would suggest going for AWS Direct Connect Vocus also offer this as a
service, though they call it Cloud Connect as they offer direct
connectivity to a number of providers.
This might also be more cost effective then using the public internet.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager