[AusNOG] Anyone else seeing massive packet loss to AWS, us-east-1 via Telia currently?

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Tue Jan 30 15:29:41 EST 2018

On 1/30/2018 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> A frustrating start to the morning with over 50% packet loss when trying
> to hit console.aws.amazon.com. Traffic heading via Vocus is fine up until
> it heads into Telia.net, specifically a-100-ic-300087-kbn-b3.c.telia.net
>
> Can't find any noise in the usual places yet that indicate theres an
> issue, so wondering if anyone else is seeing the same problem?
Just on the access to the management console you can actually change the
default region to Sydney so you can at least then access the management
console without issues.
If you use multiple regions and multiple availability zones you
shouldn't have any issues with downtime.
It really depends on what your trying to do with the platform, plus not
all services are available in the Au regions which can be an issue.
While we are on the subject of AWS and networking, they are probably
already working on this, but they need a point of presence in Perth for
Cloudfront as it would improve laytency issues with traffic not having
to go to Sydney or Melbourne depending on the provider.
Regards Chad.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager