[AusNOG] UPS Compatibility with ESXI 6.5 Communication

Christopher Hawker me at chrishawker.com.au
Tue Feb 27 14:53:41 EST 2018

Hello Daniel,

I'd have a look at APC UPS Daemon - http://www.apcupsd.com/.

"Apcupsd can be used for power mangement and controlling most of APC’s UPS models on Unix and Windows machines. Apcupsd works with most of APC’s Smart-UPS models as well as most simple signalling models such a Back-UPS, and BackUPS-Office. During a power failure, apcupsd will inform the users about the power failure and that a shutdown may occur. If power is not restored, a system shutdown will follow when the battery is exhausted, a timeout (seconds) expires, or runtime expires based on internal APC calculations determined by power consumption rates. Apcupsd is licensed under the GPL version 2."

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/518977 would be a good place to look at too. I know the thread was focused around 6.0.0 but should apply to 6.5 as well.

I'd suggest the APCSMT1500I 1500VA UPS from APC. Well built and rarely fail. https://www.mwave.com.au/product/apc-smt1500i-smartups-1500-lcd-ups-980w-1500va-aa48035 However, if this is being run on a production environment, with dual-PSUs, I'd recommend one on each PSU or better yet, buy a rack-mount UPS - so if one does fail (touch wood it never does), you don't lose your servers. You may find that 1500VA may not be enough depending on the load that the servers draw, unless you aren't looking for business continuity and just need clean shutdowns of the VMs and hosts.

CH.