[AusNOG] auDA Policy Review Panel - Public Forums

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Wed Feb 14 12:11:46 EST 2018

On 2/13/2018 7:43 AM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:

> I have to admit I'm fairly surprised that no-one has any comments about the
> impending changes to the Australian system of domain names...
>
> I suppose when customers start asking/complaining about weird new
> characters under .au or missing <com|net|org|edu|id|asn|gov> and land in
> your helpdesk queues you'll do something...
I'm not surprised at all auDA struggle to enforce the policies they
already have at times, with people using canceled ABN numbers to
register au domains to setup fake websites to scam Au consumers. Also
you destroyed the .au space when you allowed the commercialization of
the space and people now just sit on .com.au domains for years.
As for new TLDs some of them make sense such as .hosting for website
hosting companies as an example, but ones like .wtf  are just silly.
As for .au its just going to be another extension to add to the hundreds
we have already got.
We don't really need it, as we already have .id.au for personal domains
and if we are going to continue down this path, we might as well dispose
of the organisation and just open up the entire .au namespace.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager