[AusNOG] auDA Policy Review Panel - Public Forums

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Feb 12 15:57:02 EST 2018

auDA are missing a fundamental policy.

“Registrants must use RFC Compliant nameservers” should have been the
1st policy.

At the moment over half the server listed for .au domains do not comply
with the DNS RFC’s leading in some cases to interoperability issues with
recursive servers. There is no penalty for deploying broken nameservers.

Every time resolvers try to do something “new” you hit broken servers that
fail to handle that “new” thing despite the RFC’s having will defined
behaviours specified.

Where “new" can be as little as sending a query type that isn’t a A
record query. Yes, STD 13, said what to do.  The RFC that make up STD 13
were published in 1987.

Fix the basics before worrying about opening up the namespace.

Mark