[AusNOG] [AUSNog] : Re Data Centre Fire Suppression Safety

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Dec 14 11:41:53 EST 2018

Halon was banned at the same time as CFCs in aerosols and refrigerants
because it's an Ozone depleting gas. There should not be any Halon
datacentres anywhere in Australia. Probably not anywhere in the world, tbqh.

Aviation is an exempt use, which is why you saw it on your C-17. You can
buy fixed or portable halon systems intended for deployment in aircraft
even today (for example:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/h3rhalon.php?clickkey=11303
-- one of the few few ways you can acquire ozone depleting gasses as a
retail customer in 2018!)

CO2 is a hazardous gas, and should be pretty rare for fire suppression.
Possible that there are still some small and/or ancient systems out
there, but risk assessment under OHS&W legislation ought to have seen
them all replaced by now.

Datacentres in Australia will be using FM-200 or Inergen. FM-200 can be
stored in compressed gas or liquid; obviously liquid means the storage
takes up significantly less volume. FM-200 has fallen out of favor
during the last five years because it's a greenhouse gas, which makes me
regret not having a crystal ball when I was putting it in datacentres
ten years ago :-)

Both of them are engineered solutions which take the room volume into
account. The goal is to add enough gas to the room to drop the oxygen
content from 19% to something in the 15%-17% range, which is low enough
to extinguish most fire but high enough to sustain human life. If you're
in the room when it goes off you'll end up uncomfortably short of breath
(and probably very cold!), but you shouldn't suffocate if the system has
been designed properly.

A complete system will generally also include a pre-action dry pipe
deluge sprinkler system which can trigger if the gas fails to extinguish
the fire.

... and a good insurance policy. If any of these systems go off, might
end up with system loss and/or data loss. Hard disks don't like rapid
pressure changes or large quantities of water, so all bets are off once
the VESDA trips out.

   - mark