[AusNOG] [AUSNog] : Re Data Centre Fire Suppression Safety

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:29:33 EST 2018

See I would expect there would be an Australian Standard for Data Centre
Fire Suppression
 Systems, with regular inspections that were certified and the certificate
on display in the data centre.

And as I haven't noticed this, and Chris hasn't noticed this, I would guess
it's not a gap in places I've worked, but there's a more widespread lack of
governance around inspections.

Furthermore, the fire suppressant, may leak. Halon is poisonous and can
impair your judgement. So there ought to be an alarm that detects if Halon
is present. It's not good enough to rely on the fire alarm to warn you of
the presence of fire suppressant, because you could have a leak without a
fire.

One would have to assume the people in Antarctica knew what they were
doing, and yet, something went wrong and now they're dead.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins