[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Dec 12 09:27:22 EST 2018

On 12/12/2018 3:54 am, Scott Weeks wrote:

> -----------------
> The Bill was passed on Thursday
> -----------------
>

> Damn, I'm gonna need a bigger bag of popcorn!
> Waaaay bigger.  I can't wait to see how this
> plays out.

We'll probably never know how this plays out, unless one of the major global brands
pulls out of the Australian market.

Tech companies doing development in Aust will put in independent code reviews by an
offshore team to protect against onshore employees, or will quietly close Australian
development shops over years.  Some tech companies will move overseas - gradually,
over months and years.    Net result - lower demand for Australian IT staff, lower
export figures in the DFAT stats over years.

Many 'component manufacturers or suppliers' will blithely carry on, unaware this might
apply to them at all until they receive a notice

A massive data breach in 3 years time may not be traced back to a system change caused
as a result of a notice, or if an investigation does uncover the root cause, is likely
to be quietly hushed up.

It'll take a massive ASIC-website-blocking-like event own-goal to generate demand for
popcorn. That or a majority of politicians starting to listen to experts rather than
agencies and repealing it, and there's precious few Andrew Wilkies around at the
moment so that's even less likely.

P.