[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Reuben Farrelly reuben-ausnog at reub.net
Wed Dec 5 23:58:51 EST 2018

On 5/12/2018 8:33 am, Nick Stallman wrote:
> Also does this mean that the custom firmware for one or a handful of
> targets is not a systemic weakness, but if (when) the custom firmware
> leaks out publicly and can be used criminally, it suddenly does become a
> systemic weakness?

I wonder how this is all going to play out with license compliance of
the GPL and other similar licenses, especially if there is talk about
covertly modifying code or systems.

Are these Government organisations also going to be also inherently
violating (or forcing other parties to violate) the license terms of the
GPL if they prohibit distribution of their modified and now vulnerable
source code?

If a company is instructed by law enforcement to insert a backdoor into
an authors' code but not be permitted to distribute the source for the
backdoor along with the original source code, will the author be able to
sue the company under copyright law?

Does the Australian Government think they are going to be able to
encourage the likes of Lineage or a budget overseas tablet manufacturer
to assist in providing private code for law enforcement purposes?

I'm sure most politicians have already considered the licensing aspects
of this though, so perhaps I need not worry.  Perhaps the law of
Australia will now trump the law of International Software Licenses too,
in much the same way it trumps the laws of mathematics.