[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 15:30:39 EST 2018

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 at 11:17, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well obviously taking the time to read and consider the public and industry submissions is preferable to pronouncements of "extensive" consultation, then trying to second guess what's on the 5 Eyes' "Letter to Santa" so we can push the Bill through before Christmas.
>
> There does need to be a settlement between the State's need to enforce the rule of law, and citizen rights of privacy and private property. The problem is if you say it can't be done at all, governments will simply proceed without your input.
>
> So I think EA is going to happen, regardless.

Until the legislation is passed, EA hasn't happened.

> So we need a debate how that can be accommodated, minimising the adverse impacts, while maximising the benefits for national security, and coming to some kind of settlement with Law Enforcement that preserves citizens rights. Of course, this isn't possible under the current Dep't Home Affairs' timeline, though if Labor stalls the Bill, that will be some welcome respite.

Nobody is obligated to spend any time on something the government
proposes unless it becomes law.

If you want to work on the idea of EA it is up to you, however this is
not a EA development forum, so I think any ideas you have regarding
the mechanics are off-topic for this list.