[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 06:56:10 EST 2018

A limited scope is nearly as bad as a carte-blanche licence to spy on
law-abiding citizens.

A major part of the opposition to this bill is the fact that despite what
Malcolm Turnbull tried to claim, the laws of Australia do not override the
laws of mathematics.

Aside from the fact that we know damned well that as soon as the capability
exists, it will be misused - not only will the AFP and ASIO use it
elsewhere, other agencies WILL get hold of the capability. There's also
those pesky rules of mathematics to consider here - there is no way to
break the encryption of just terrorists and child abusers - the mathematics
of encryption just don't work that way.

And of course, once the vulnerabilities in systems are created, they don't
check for warrants, agency appropriateness and legal approvals before
allowing access. "Let me see your credentials and warrant" said no
back-door ever.

I am naturally wary of slippery slope arguments - but our law enforcement
agencies (as a whole, and as a collection of individuals) have a proven
track record of being given an inch and taking a mile. Or two.

The very notion that encryption systems can be selectively broken in only
legally appropriate instances is ludicrous - once the cat is out of the
bag, it is out of the bag for all.

The only thing more ludicrous is the belief that Australia's legal reach is
significant enough for this to matter a single iota. If if this bill
becomes law, that terrorists and child abusers would simply use encryption
tools that are not subject to Australian law.

The over-inflated opinion of self's almost as bad as the Internet filter
arguments (in some ways, it's worse, due to the consequences) - the thought
that stopping the Australian online population interested in accessing
child abuse material over HTTP/HTTPS channels that the filter could see
would have any positive impact at all on child abuse victims was ludicrous

Conroy and friends also argued that if you were against his filter, you
were pro child abuse - which was patently ridiculous.We will see similar
arguments from Dutton et al on this (if we haven't seen them already) and
they'll be just as invalid here was they were before.