[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Chris Ford chris.ford at inaboxgroup.com.au
Tue Aug 14 14:59:00 EST 2018

> I hate to be the ones COMPLIMENTING the Gumbyment, but it's nowhere near
> as bad as I thought they were going to make it. It looks like they've actually
> spoken to some people who udnerstand crypto.

Read the new Section 317E Listed Acts or Things (page 16 of the exposure draft). It lists the "acts or things" that a provider can be asked for under a request or notice. It's pretty bad.

(a) removing one or more forms of electronic protection that are or were applied by, or on behalf of, the provider; or

(c) installing, maintaining, testing or using software or equipment; or

(e) facilitating or assisting access to whichever of the following
are the subject of eligible activities of the provider:
    (ii) customer equipment;
    (viii) software used, for use, or likely to be used, in connection with a listed carriage service;
    (ix) software used, for use, or likely to be used, in connection with an electronic service;
    (x) software that is capable of being installed on a computer, or other equipment, that is, or is likely to be,
         connected to a telecommunications network; or

(f) assisting with the testing, modification, development or maintenance of a technology or capability; or

(h) modifying, or facilitating the modification of, any of the characteristics of a service provided by the designated communications provider; or

(i) substituting, or facilitating the substitution of, a service provided by the designated communications provider for:
    (i) another service provided by the provider; or
    (ii) a service provided by another designated communications provider; or

(j) an act or thing done to conceal the fact that any thing has been done covertly in the performance of a Function, or the exercise of a power