[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Paul Julian paul at buildingconnect.com.au
Tue Aug 14 13:42:23 EST 2018

I think it’s easy to read this, just re-read the bollocks that we have already had to comply with and it should match pretty close.

The summary I get from it is that they can’t access encrypted stuff now so they want everybody to make it so they can, but they can’t say that they will force people to make it so, just that they would really like it to be so.
If it costs you money to make it so then they may pay you for your efforts, or maybe they won’t. The only real thing that is concreate in this proposal is that the AG will be the only one to make requests.

I mean seriously, how does an ISP build capability to be able to view encrypted communications that traverse their network ?

This is typical of the recent few years of legislation involving the communications industry, vague enough for somebody to enforce it somehow, but still vague enough for people to not really know what they are expected to provide and how.

I think somebody in our government gets paid to create acronyms personally, there is a new swag of them in this proposal, just like the last ones.

Paul