[AusNOG] Vendors back charging on support and maintenance.

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Apr 24 14:55:45 EST 2018

> I've just observed an interesting situation where a vendor is charging upto 18months "fee" to bring a device back into active maintenance and support. The customer purchase the kit secondhand. Naturally the customer is pushing back (don't blame them).
> Is this common in our industry?

Heh, heh…  I once had a customer with an SS7 switch.  They wanted to add an Ethernet card to it.  The only Ethernet card for it was 10mbps.  The card cost $7k.  The fees to bring the switch up to current-enough support and software that the vendor would give us drivers to _use_ the card were over $2m.  And this was at a time when gigabit Ethernet was already standard.

                                -Bill