[AusNOG] Rise in fake calling numbers?

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 13:22:36 EST 2018

Hi folks
we may be hearing a rise in the incidence of VoIP calls faking their caller
ID for the purposes of spamming and scamming.

Consumers check the caller ID on their hand CND and accept the Australian
sourced number, only to find it is a complete scam. This is often tied to
the 'missed call scam' but now they are using genuine Aussie phone numbers
and the genuine owners aren't happy.

>From my rusty experience at setting up VoIP systems, you should be able to
impose filters on incoming calls  at the network level here the number
doesn't match the source - can people please give me a clearer update on
this from the trenches?

What are the good housekeeping steps for network operators?

Off list please and I'll summarise the responses,

thanks in advance

--

Narelle Clark
narellec at gmail.com