[AusNOG] ABC 4Corners - What's Wrong with the NBN?

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 25 00:00:50 EST 2017

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017, Mark Newton wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2017, at 11:22 AM, Giles Pollock <glp71s at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Difference is on NBN your landline is converted to a VoIP line and provided by the ISP. Said ISP won't divulge the SIP configuration so if you want to use it you're locked in to using their provided router. A router which dials home for config and happily feeds back all the leases it gives out to client devices back to the ISPs controller.
>
> Sorry, huh, land … line?
>
> More seriously, this isn’t an NBN issue. iiNet has been doing the exact same thing with their Bob CPE on ADSL for at least the last 8 years.
>
> If you don’t like it, but your service from a service provider who doesn’t use TR-069 or something, idk. It’s up to you.

Another reason to use your own router is for security updates. iiNet's
Budii Lite was released a bit over three years ago [1] and is already out
of support and won't get any KRACK fixes [2]. Meanwhile LEDE (the
successor to OpenWRT) has its update out now, beating several major wifi
vendors.

[1] http://blog.iinet.net.au/budii-lite-modem/
[2] https://twitter.com/JamesBromberger/status/921258589452300288

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |