[AusNOG] 10GBs

Josh Tipping josh.tipping at icita.com
Thu Nov 9 12:30:52 EST 2017

Hi Burt,

Lots of good info here around Layer 1 issues (SFP's, cables etc etc) which is worth checking. But you could easily have a more software-oriented issue, without knowing more about your problems - i.e perhaps Hypervisor to switch is not configured in a manner that the hypervisor, or your switch, likes. Are you running multiple 10G ports to each server? Does it track that packets are lost over certain physical links but not others, machines drop packets after vmotion, things like this? Is any type of etherchannel/lacp configured? How is spanning tree configured on the switch?

If you can link up some direct hosts, one port each, no hypervisors or other complexities, and smash the switch with iPERF or something, and it works just fine, then you probably have a configuration/software issue rather than optics/cables/NIC's.

10G definitely doesn't have to be difficult - but the choice of switch might be an issue. Ive never used a ZyXEL switch - but something more enterprise grade more commonly used with Hypervisors/in DC's, will almost certainly avoid some software weirdness of a cheap switch. Better 10G switches really don't have to cost a fortune these days.

Thanks and regards,
Josh Tipping
Chief Technical Officer | iCITA