[AusNOG] Recommendations for reliable LTE devices

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 22 14:23:21 EST 2017

On Mon, 22 May 2017, Mark Tees wrote:
> At present I have been suggesting using Cradlepoint IBR series hooked
> into either Juniper or Cisco gear as they have been pretty reliable
> for me.

I've just bought a Dovado Tiny AC universal access router for this.

> Ideally:
>
> * Something in the $200-300 range.

$170 or $200 for the pro version.

> * Presents an ethernet port.

Yes, and will even bridge the SIM depending on the dongle.

> * Takes a SIM directly.

No, uses whatever dongle you want (but only some support IP pass through,
there's a list on their website)

> * Has external antenna's.

Depends on your dongle.

> * Optionally supports some variation of IP pass thru, VPN, or GRE.
>
> The pain point in the past is the various consumer dongles either
> dying or requiring me to script something to reboot them when they
> drop.

It doesn't directly help, but it is controllable via SMS and an API.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |