[AusNOG] The Ransomware to come

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Thu May 18 20:35:37 EST 2017

It's not possible to be in the wrong group on the Internet. On the
Internet, everyone knows everything ;)

Pointing to where it's all been tried before and all too hard, overlooks
businesses actively creating successful business opportunities based on a
security plane overlay (APM), and new protocols (SAML). But these aren't
solutions, they're after the fact workarounds, symptoms of the underlying
failure to deliver end to end security at the network layer. If you're
dialling in from Chad or Upper Volta, welcome to the internet, but I really
don't want your packets touching my email spool, ever.

SSL is not the solution, it's just another bandaid. We're approaching a
situation where you don't need a firewall because a router ACL on port 443
offers equivalent security. And then because now you can't secure the
control plane because the data's encrypted, you have to spoof certificates
on the firewall.

It smacks of all care and no responsibility. (Read any user license) And if
you get hacked, you were stupid, and probably ugly, overlooking that the
overwhelming majority of IT users are definitely not literate in IT
security.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins