[AusNOG] Australian ISP's Selling Browsing Data

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Tue May 16 04:43:03 EST 2017

Hey Eric,

I cannot say  am selling data because I am not but..
I know that it's commonly done by DNS service providers as opposed to http metadata inspection ones.
There might be and probably there are out there http metadata collectors and this is also one of the reasons for the "Let's Encrypt" trend\idea.
>From what I have seen in couple places in Europe once you surf the motel network you are being injected with all sort of JavaScripts into the http traffic.
SSL\TLS blocks these.
I would not hesitate to say that the same providers which injects JS into http responses are probably selling http metadata.

So what do you think?
Let say I want privacy, Would then "Let's Encrypt" be more legit then it is today?
For the soul purpose of privacy?

Let say I will write an automated "browser" which will browse the web in parallel to me to generate some "noise traffic",
what would be then the fate of the metadata trafficking?
It's doable but useless since statistics in large magnitude are somewhat vague.
There are these who will sell popsicles to the eskimos in the coldest place on earth, so if someone feels that these metadata details are good for him...
Well I can give him my good luck blessings but with this warn him that my network *might be* generating some noise traffic that he actually thinks as a genuine one.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

----
http://ngtech.co.il/lmgtfy/