[AusNOG] NYTimes article on the NBN

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri May 12 19:59:28 EST 2017

On May 12, 2017, at 1:52 PM, Benjamin Ricardo <ben.ricardo at acs.net.au> wrote:

> We’re about 29 times bigger with only 5 times more people… that could be part of the problem…

No, that’s the excuse Telstra used to use on Telecommunications Ministers to justify keeping long distance telephone call prices high.

It was bullshit then and it’s bullshit now. If you’re not working for a monopolist, you shouldn’t be buying in to it.

Australia is one of the most urbanized nations on earth, it just has big gaps between the urban islands. Those gaps are cheap per head of population to bridge.

We don’t have a tyrrany of distance in Australia, we just have a broken market. NBN’s architecture and wholesale pricing structure is part of the cause of the market breakage.

  - mark