[AusNOG] Prediction: Google et. al. may artificially penalise IPv4 clients

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue May 2 15:05:37 EST 2017

On 2 May 2017 2:42 pm, "James Andrewartha" <trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

On Tue, 2 May 2017, James Andrewartha wrote:

> Please note: I do not run one of these networks, my interest is more in
> pointing out that the decisions of a single man can greatly affect IPv6
> rollout across the world and there's basically nothing you or I can do
> about it.

Or, to bring it back to the original point, Google could save themselves
millions if they instructed the developer to pull his finger out and
implement DHCPv6 in Android.

I don't always agree with Lorenzo, however from what I see on IETF mailing
lists he's pretty objective.

My experience of a many people coming to IPv6 is they're quite subjective.
They seem to assume IPv4's ways are the only ways and the best ways, and
they're then trying to treat IPv6 as IPv4 with bigger addresses. That may
seem to minimise learning time, however they may not realise that a lot of
things in IPv6 were influenced by protocols that were developed and
commonly deployed after IPv4 was invented, such as Novell's IPX or Apple's
Appletalk.

The better approach to learn IPv6 is to not try to cast IPv4's methods into
it. Take the approach of "for this problem X, it is solved this way Y in
IPv4, and is solved this way Z in IPv6." Y and Z will sometimes be similar,
sometimes they won't be. This is how we learnt different protocols when we
were dealing with multiprotocol networks in the 90s.

If your not if that era, the best book to read is "Interconnections", 2nd
Edition by Radia Perlman, because it takes that approach. It is such a good
book that if I was forced to choose 2 networking books to take to be struck
on a desert island, it would be one of them. i wish it had been the first
networking book I read. I also think it should be constantly on the shelf
of any bookstore selling computing books - and everytime I visit one, I
look to see if it is there. (And there is an Easter egg in the picture on
the front cover.)

Regards,
Mark.

--
# TRS-80              trs80(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au #/ "Otherwise Bub here will
do \

[ "There's nobody getting rich writing          ]|  -- Collect and hide
your   |
[  software that I know of" -- Bill Gates, 1980 ]\  nuts." -- Acid Reflux
#231 /