[AusNOG] NBN doing site surveys in OptiComm lit up areas

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Mar 21 12:09:32 EST 2017

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017, paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au wrote:

> Totally agree, but.....
>
> NBN = no logical approach

Quite so.
I'm in an "Environment Protection Area" - so no glass, and as the copper
is too old and in poor condition they're not feeding it at all. Instead
I'm in "fixed wireless" coverage area. Despite their installers being
here, saying I was right on the maximum signal strength permitted (I'm
close to the base, and excellent LoS), they cannot install because they're
only "permitted" to use one of the two NBN approved roof mounts. One for
metal sheets, the other for tiled roof. I live in an underground home and
have no suitable roof. Ground mounts are now "prohibited", no exceptions
I'm told. I have existing masts and solid parts of the structure that
could be used, but it's not part of their "approved" installation kit, so
install rejected, told to find "alternative technology".  Like, what,
guys? Like bloody what??