[AusNOG] ADSL Bridge Modems

Cory Hawkless Cory at Hawkless.id.au
Fri Jun 23 20:47:26 EST 2017

+1 Ive used the Draytek Vigor120 + Mikrotik combo dozens of times, works well.

I sometimes also put a private IP on my WAN interface that matches the IP of the modem(It’s retains it’s IP when it’s in bridge mode) so you can login and check the ADSL line stats\sync rates etc.

From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Jonathan Brewer
Sent: Friday, 23 June 2017 4:49 PM
To: Burt Mascareigne <Burt at stormnetwork.com.au>; Mark Smith <markzzzsmith at gmail.com>
Cc: <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net> <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] ADSL Bridge Modems

Years of Draytek & they've always been great as bridges to MikroTik routers.

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 08:37, Mark Smith <markzzzsmith at gmail.com<mailto:markzzzsmith at gmail.com>> wrote:
This will probably work - I have a 526d that I'm using in bridge mode.

https://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/dsl-526e-usb-ethernet-adsl2-modem-router

On 23 Jun. 2017 11:44 am, "Burt Mascareigne" <Burt at stormnetwork.com.au<mailto:Burt at stormnetwork.com.au>> wrote:
Hi Guys,

I know we’ve talked about this before, but I just found out the TD-8817 is gone.  And TP-Link want us to buy their expensive range of stuff.

All I want is a cheap ADSL bridge modem. I could pick it up for like 30 bucks, and get my SOPHOS working in under 5.

Now… I’m totally stuck.

Are there any cheap bridge modems? Do they exist anywhere?  I know ZyXEL have a solid modem, but they have literally 0 Aust. Dist.

I’m physically repulsed by Netgear / Netcomm / DLink (though their enterprise switches are warming to me)

I’d be keen to know what cheap solutions are out there, hesitant to buy a $100 ZyXEL from UK to “test”.

Burt

Storm Network