[AusNOG] Cisco ASR1001-x netflow

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Jun 21 15:55:56 EST 2017

Remember that the 7200 was a software platform, a veritable swiss army
chainsaw of routers.

Most of the rest of the Cisco service provider products only provide
features which are capable of being hardware accelerated.

The ASR1k is mostly a software platform, but not totally. So yeah, you
get a feature reduction.

Happily, as you've observed, it's a pretty good LNS.

My strong suggestion would be to give up on per-subscriber netflow.

IOS-XE platforms support QoS policy accounting via Radius. That means
you can set up QoS classifiers and get a bytecount reported in per-user
radius accounting attributes for traffic which matches them.

Much easier to do traffic accounting that way. Scalable, accurate, and
there's no chance of missing data if your collector happens to be
offline for a while.

Note that you don't have to do any queuing, shaping or policing, mere
classification is sufficient to get bytecounts.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/qos_plcshp/configuration/xe-3s/qos-plcshp-xe-3s-book/qos-plcshp-pol-actg.html

A common example:

1. Define an ACL which has unmetered content sources as source addresses
and "any any" as destination addresses.

2. Define a class-map which matches the ACL.

3. Define a policy-map which cites the class-map.

4. Make arrangements in Radius to cause the policy-map to be attached as
an outbound service policy on subscriber virtual-access interfaces.

With the feature enabled, you'll get two Radius Accounting-Request
updates per interim accounting interval, one for the session as a whole
and one for the service policy. You can do some simple arithmetic in
your billing system to subtract the unmetered class bytecount from the
session bytecount to get a billable answer; and you can present metered
and unmetered traffic separately on your customer toolbox webpages.

You can also define separate IPv4 and IPv6 ACLs associated with separate
classes on the same policy-map to accomplish unmetered dual-stack.

You can do the config dynamically with subscriber templates, but that
comes with some limitations you don't see if you define static policy maps.

There are config examples at the bottom of the URL cited above.

    - mark