[AusNOG] Government intends to pass TSSR this parliament

Phillip Grasso phillip.grasso at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 18:20:45 EST 2017

Back to something that might resemble a technical discussion. It comes down
to the scale they want to operate, I'd continue to argue it's an economic
scale cost. If they want to monitor people massively and probably not just
about the terrorhusts but general public, they do the B's stuff like
metadata collection etc, but if they had a targeted set of people they
wanted to watch, they could and they have the mechanisms today, they
probably way more than enough. Cracking encryption continues to be a
function of computing power, time, crypto research/backdoors. (E.g. spy
agencies probably knew of limited primes and other deficiencies with each
crypto, thereby significantly reducing keyspace and reducing computational
complexity / time. This however would be too complex for your regular
politician to understand, or care about.