[AusNOG] urlscan.io

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 17:07:41 EST 2017

On 16 June 2017 at 16:35, Damian Guppy <the.damo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Akamai is a caching network. DNS does not provide the sort of intelligence
> necessary to direct requests to the most appropriate server, so you will
> always just hit the server closest to you. If that server happens to have
> the content already cached then it will serve it up itself. If it doesn't
> have some or all of the content required (cache miss) the server will act as
> a proxy and fetch the content from the closest upstream server on the akamai
> network that does have the content, and then hold onto it for an amount of
> time as defined by their internal algorithms in case anyone else needs that
> content.
>
> *this is a simplified explanation of what is a complex system*

You might want to look up the the expression "Teaching grandmother to
suck eggs".

I've worked on the assumption that CDNs, given the amount of storage
that CDN nodes have (I've seen a few in person), and that ISPs have
had their own translucent web proxies in the past, have content
proactively replicated to them so that there is no latency, even for
the first request.