[AusNOG] What are we going to do about IoT (in)security?

Barry Raveendran Greene bgreene at senki.org
Mon Jun 12 14:05:36 EST 2017

> On Jun 12, 2017, at 9:07 AM, Mark Delany <g2x at juliet.emu.st> wrote:
>
> Router/modem manufacturers are
> not set up to deal with this like they are with external attacks.

Which is why we are never going to eliminate port filters on the exploitable ports. The question would be how many are really deploying? As part of the WannaCry industry incident work, I pushed out and observation and a “collected wisdom” paper on Exploitable port filters:

What are you doing to prepare for the next “scanning malware?”
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-you-doing-prepare-next-scanning-malware-internet-barry-greene

Filtering Exploitable Ports and Minimizing Risk to and from Your Customers
http://www.senki.org/exploitable-port-filtering/

Ask: Please ping me privately if you are an ISP/Operator who have Exploitable Port filters deployed. We would welcome your wisdom.

Barry