[AusNOG] DNS Devolution targeting the .com.au space - should we be worried?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jun 5 14:46:11 EST 2017

In message <CAO42Z2yUeCWoYXxODcpkFtHO4rNxDygjcBxjrrq7jRbHvvgjCg at mail.gmail.com>
, Mark Smith writes:

> What you're seeing is quite expected, you're providing a relative domain
> name not an absolute one. Since it is relative, then the DNS resolver will
> try to use the list of search domains it has to resolve it.
>
> The purpose of providing a domain to a client e.g. via DHCP is so that
> relative names can be used for things.
>
> In the ISP world, it would be so that customers can type "mail" rather
> than "mail.isp.com". I don't think that is really much value anymore, as the
> only place people commonly type domain names its into their web browser,
> and they're full domain names outside the ISP's name space, even though
> they're technically not fully qualified - a fully qualified domain name
> has a dot on the end e.g. "mail.isp.com.". Also, ISPs provide full (relative)
> names on settings pages too.
>
> So you have the following options
>
> (a) always use fully qualified domain names i.e. ones that have dots on
> the end - which is impractical because it will be hard to change end user
> behaviour.
>
> (b) work out where your resolver relative search list is and stop it
> listing .com.au. Something to try is to have a single search domain of
> '.', which would make all relative domain names absolute ones upon the first
> resolution attempt.
>
> Try your nslookup query with a dot on the end and it should either
> entirely succeed or entirely fail on the first resolution attempt.

This is also Microsoft ignoring security warnings and fixes that
were issued and deployed 2+ decades ago.  RFC 1535 first raised
this and the search mechanism was changed to do queries with dots
"as is", then apply the search list.  Additionally the search list
became a single element as it was realised that you couldn't just
strip off leading labels safely.

I tried hard to argue that partially qualified names should no
longer be a concept (if there is a period in the name then it is
always treated as absolute).  I also tried hard to argue that
searches should stop on NODATA, that the only response that should
cause a search to move onto the next element is NXDOMAIN.  SERVFAIL
should be terminal.

Remember periods at the end to indicate no searching is a local
user interface issue as is searching itself.  Domain elements in
protocols are fully qualified and don't have a final period.

And before you mention DNS master files, there is no searching.
There is appending the current origin or not depending on the absence
or not of the final period.  There is no ambiguity that there is
with searching.  This is text based compression.

Also ISP's that depend on their domain being in the search list on
customer machines are idiots.  Search list are one of the things
that hosts can override and you should never trust a search list
given to you by a ISP or a hotspot.

Mark