[AusNOG] NBN and CVC

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Mon Jul 31 10:22:22 EST 2017

I don't often agree with Bevan - perhaps different perspectives in life. (single malt discussion) :)

But 3. and 4. is precisely why we (Australia) is here right now and it stings when a colleague who lives in San Fran just got a 1gig symmetrical for $50/month.

Is there a fix to the CVC issue? Well yes, but it will take a government who is capable of listening to folks in this industry who can read the auguries and then accept that the model instilled is flawed and put pressure on the ACCC to repeal the ruling. The government will have to cop it on the chin that if it's "nation building" the drive to treat it like a revenue raising exercise is broken.

Will that happen? I doubt it. Politicians huh? Since I was well aware that 5G was coming when this grand scheme was considered (I play in standards space) I was ranty about the idea then. Now, I think the 5G arbitrage price war will put the NBN to shame in both speed and customer uptake. And I can't wait.

Terry