[AusNOG] Solomon Islands loses landing rights for a cable in Sydney

Jonathan Brewer jon.brewer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 17:43:35 EST 2017

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 at 12:37, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:

> A submarine cable connecting Sydney to the Solomon Islands is being
> refused a landing permit in Sydney because it’s being built by Huawei.
>

> http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australia-refuses-to-connect-to-undersea-cable-built-by-chinese-company-20170726-gxj9bf.html
>
> So, uh, don’t do that then, hey?

You mean don't land in Australia, right?

We've got plenty of Huawei in New Zealand networks, including our UFB
network. (That's the one I get 1000/500 fibre service from for about AUD
$110/month). Guess what? It works. And it doesn't come with any more
spyware than Cisco or Juniper.

What's the Australian government's problem? Is it protectionism? Racism?
Something else?

-JB