[AusNOG] Optus outage last night?

Evan Dent evan at evandent.com
Wed Jul 5 19:29:53 EST 2017

It's a real tricky thing to get right. I can't give the right answer there.

One thing to remember that if you are not using your ISPs DNS server, you
may be subject to non optimal routing. For your home situation probably not
an issue but on your larger connections, it could be a issue. I have seen
traffic going overseas rather than going to the CDNs in Aus which has
amounted in reduced performance and increased costs.

 It's a catch 22 issue either way you try to deal with it all.

I too would love to hear input from others on this.