[AusNOG] Anyone know about this? High speed internet for Queensland's Richmond graziers

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Tue Jan 24 06:29:57 EST 2017

>From the article, it sounded like they'd had internet delivered to the
council, and then did a mofo wireless link from there to their property?
Which being that the link is only providing their family's internet access,
wouldn't require a carrier license?  (Though I'll admit the last time I
really took any interest in the legalities of such things was 2001, so
things may have changed..)

On 23 January 2017 at 15:38, Narelle <narellec at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Just wondering who it was got the carrier license - N]
>

> High speed internet for Queensland's Richmond graziers
> ABC Rural By Eric Barker
>
> Posted Wed 21 Dec 2016, 9:40am
> PHOTO: William Harrington from Harrington Systems Electronics and Olga
> Downs station, north of Richmond. (ABC Rural: Eric Barler)
>
> A new high­speed internet service will be switched on this week for some
> graziers and the local council in the Richmond area of north Queensland.
>
> The service was set­up by the Harrington family, who live at Olga Downs
> station about 50 kilometres north of town.
>
> William Harrington from Olga Downs said building a new internet service
> was a necessity for running his electronics company on the station.
>
> "We said we've got to do something about this and we decided to build a
> wireless link 46 kilometres long from Richmond to the station, just to be
> able to run our business," Mr Harrington said.
>
> He said although computing equipment was becoming less expensive the
> project would not be possible without a client as big as the Richmond Shire
> Council.
>
> "We've hooked into a fibre optic cable running from Townsville to Mount
> Isa and it's extremely expensive," he said.
>
> "It was cost prohibitive for us to do that by ourselves in a small town.
> "So we've partnered with the local council to be able to do that and it's
> a win­win for both of us."
>

> etc from:
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-21/high-speed-internet-for-richmond-
> graziers/8134462