[AusNOG] Anyone know about this? High speed internet for Queensland's Richmond graziers

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:38:28 EST 2017

[Just wondering who it was got the carrier license - N]

High speed internet for Queensland's Richmond graziers
ABC Rural By Eric Barker

Posted Wed 21 Dec 2016, 9:40am
PHOTO: William Harrington from Harrington Systems Electronics and Olga
Downs station, north of Richmond. (ABC Rural: Eric Barler)

A new high­speed internet service will be switched on this week for some
graziers and the local council in the Richmond area of north Queensland.

The service was set­up by the Harrington family, who live at Olga Downs
station about 50 kilometres north of town.

William Harrington from Olga Downs said building a new internet service was
a necessity for running his electronics company on the station.

"We said we've got to do something about this and we decided to build a
wireless link 46 kilometres long from Richmond to the station, just to be
able to run our business," Mr Harrington said.

He said although computing equipment was becoming less expensive the
project would not be possible without a client as big as the Richmond Shire
Council.

"We've hooked into a fibre optic cable running from Townsville to Mount Isa
and it's extremely expensive," he said.

"It was cost prohibitive for us to do that by ourselves in a small town.
"So we've partnered with the local council to be able to do that and it's a
win­win for both of us."

etc from:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-21/high-speed-internet-for-richmond-graziers/8134462

--